Sunday, March 3, 2013

Edge of Infinity

Edge of Infinity - Zero -

“Go,” shouts the voice.  Fire burns everywhere its harsh light flickers in the chamber.  Bolts of stark white electricity strikes at consoles and ceiling panels while behind me an electro-mechanical ring of metal spins and rotates around a field of energy that ripples with scenes from a place unfamiliar.  Before me a man stands his features are fuzzy and shadowed.  His clothes are torn, and I can see he is badly injured, the white of his outfit stained badly.  I’m frightened and angry both, frozen with feelings that do not make sense to me.  I can tell he is looking at me, I can feel his desperate feelings wishing me to depart this place.  “Go!”

“Not so fast doctor,” approaching us from the fire and smoke and electricity is a man in a black uniform, a pulse rifle in his hand.  His features as well are shadowed and my memory cannot tell who is, but I do know him to be the cause of this.  Two more join him, a man and a woman, their faces are covered in half face visors, weapons in their hands gleam in the light of the burning room.  “Why don’t you just surrender and hand over the controller?”  This person’s voice is smooth, almost soothing, hiding behind it lies and deceit.

He turns to them his tone angry, “Hurry Infinity… run away.  You have a mission to complete.”

Mission?

“Go!”

I turn sluggishly.  I know something is going to happen that I will not like.  My long strands of hair flow around me slowly as if I was submerged in water.   Even my movements are slow and resisted.  Deep inside I knew this was not the action I wanted to take.

The enemy leader growls, “Stop her.  Destroy her if you have to.”  I could sense the weapons upon me, I could feel their murderous intent.  I continued to walk.  They fire and shoot, the pop and snap of their guns not registering to me.  There is a single sound of gunfire that freeze me and turn sharply around to find the man standing between me and the gun wielding people.  He stands firm against the assault and grabs my wrist.  “Forget about me, you must accomplish that which no one can.”  He then threw me forward and with tears in my eyes and a scream I…

…Tumble from my bed landing onto the floor with a harsh thump.  Panting heavily and my body hot and damp I lay in amongst the tangled blankets my nightgown clinging to me.  I stare at the ceiling with surprise and bring the hand that had been grabbed with a critical look.  “Was that a dream?”  It had to be a dream.  But there was pain in my heart and tears in my eyes.  I stand and go the window and look to the Zircon Heavy Industries twin towers that dominated the heart of the city.  Construction was still happening on the large black ring that would help capture rays of the sun and direct its energy to the city.  I wipe away tears and sigh, from my back my wing fins unfold and I raise the wireless antennae from behind my ears.

“A nightmare from fragmented data streams.  I will have to be careful today during my investigation.”  Five years ago I had found myself outside the edge of the city and had looked at it. Nothing looked familiar, nothing made sense.  As if what I knew and what was true was in conflict.  Around me three Zircon Hunters lay dead and all I had was confusion.  A whole series of data streams had been deleted I had learned much later, likely by Zircon itself.  Either way, today I would get answers of my origins even if I have to force Zircon’s CEO to tell me while dangling from her precious ring!

1 comment:

  1. So I had a wonderful dream, a dream that spawned this. So yay, Star Slayer and Edge are now my focus mini-projects. ^^

    Hope people like it.

    ReplyDelete